Sunday, January 26, 2020

WriteReader for elementary learners

Click here to read
Click here to read














If you have seen me in your elementary school in the past few weeks, there is a
good chance I was working with a class on WriteReader.  This is a free easy to
use ebook creation site that offers several features that are perfect for the
grades 1-3 learners.  


These features include:

  1. Auto Adjusting font (so the text will shrink to fit on the page).
  2. Embedded image library (including some icons making it easier to search) making images searched safe and painless.
  3. Ability to restrict page type (I think the image and text one works best)
  4. Recording ability (I was in the hall with several students as they recorded page by page- one of them commented to me “It’s like being an actor and reading from a script!”) Listen to Norah's recording by selecting the play button on each page.
  5. To share or not to share- the teacher can decide in other students can read the books.  You can easily share the books outside of WriteReader with a link.



If you are going to try this with your students, I would definitely have them
prepare the writing ahead of time.  I would also make a class ahead of time
(while the Google Classroom options worked, I think it was a little limiting for
the teacher.)

Lori Herschkowitz shared the above examples from her second-grade authors. These
are not the ones we made in class- once the students start creating- it is hard to stop them!

If you read their books- please leave a comment on this post.  I’m sure they would
enjoy the feedback.


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading both books. Two things I learned that I did not know before is that the Peacock is the national bird of India and that the shy emoji is pink! Thank you authors for that valuable information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What great authors! I enjoyed reading everyone's story. I'm so glad that Mrs. DeSantis shared this with all her followers. I'm in Caldwell, NJ.

    ReplyDelete